ABOUT OUR TEAMS
We work in cross-functional squads, with product owners, designers, and engineers working side-by-side toward shared goals while at the same time, we are on the product engineering team together. We believe lean and agile principles are the best way to deliver value to our customers while making engineering satisfaction and happiness awesome. . We aim for each squad to have the right mix of full stack, web, and api developers, so that together they are equipped to solve whatever problems come their way. We love our customers and are excited to be part of this groundbreaking cannabis industry!
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- You prioritize customers. You’re results oriented, pragmatic, and good at negotiating tradeoffs between technical objectives and product objectives.
- Iterative and data-driven. You know how to break down the work in order to frequently deliver incremental value. You’re experienced with testing into better solutions than we originally envisioned.
- Technical excellence and a growth mindset. You’re passionate about honing your craft and writing high quality code that inspires your teammates.
- Depth and breadth. Where you’re an expert, you’ll hit the ground running and lead by example. Where you’re not, you’re ready to learn quickly.
- Self-starter and collaborative. You’re comfortable working independently as well as pairing or swarming with your teammates. You ask for help when you need it, and you help others when they need it.
- You will make us better. You bring expertise, skills, or perspective we could use more of. You’ll help us make better decisions and build better products.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Leafly BI team is dedicated to building data for our customer focused systems that make it easy to purchase cannabis. We are looking for a Software Engineer with expertise in full stack development, preferably with Ruby on Rails. You will be a critical member of the team and passionate about building, maintaining, & ability to use existing internal design systems to prototype new features for the business.
You have demonstrated expertise in our stack, and a proven track record of solving tricky problems regardless of the specific technology or problem domain. You are strong on programming and data analytics fundamentals, and your code is an example to others. You understand the tradeoffs of object-oriented vs functional, monoliths vs microservices, and non-negotiable technical table stakes vs good enough to ship.
You care deeply about software quality, operability, and developer experience. You value a collaborative environment, and care deeply about your teammates. You have strong opinions about how we build things, and your opinions are loosely held. You are a thoughtful, kind, and effective communicator - quick with helpful code reviews, you ad hoc pair regularly, and offer in-the-moment technical collaboration and mentorship. And while it’s not a requirement, if you are passionate about cannabis, many of us are too! Leafly is looking for you!tradeoffs of object-oriented vs functional, monoliths vs microservices, and non-negotiable technical table stakes vs good enough to ship.
You care deeply about software quality, operability, and developer experience. You value a collaborative environment, and care deeply about your teammates. You have strong opinions about how we build things, and your opinions are loosely held. You are a thoughtful, kind, and effective communicator - quick with helpful PRs, you ad hoc pair regularly, and offer in-the-moment technical collaboration and mentorship. And while it’s not a requirement, if you are passionate about cannabis, many of us are too! Leafly is looking for you!
WHAT YOU WOULD BE DOING
- Support our Business Intelligence and sales teams by building internal tooling in React, NodeJS, and/or Ruby on Rails
- Prototyping internal reporting tooling in React and Rails with minimal design input
- Support our marketing team by building and maintaining integrations with our email service
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to drive monetization opportunities through the site
- Develop and maintain client-facing reporting APIs
- Build, maintain, and enhance existing Rails APIs, focused on performance and stability
- Conduct peer reviews to ensure code developed meets our coding standards
WHAT YOU BRING
- 3-5 years experience shipping and supporting high-scale, high-performance web applications
- Demonstrated ability to embrace, learn, and apply new technologies and tools
- Experience with the latest web technologies, tools, and practices; experience with more than one server-side technology
- Experience working with Ruby on Rails, NodeJS, and React
- Expertise in HTTP, scalability, performance optimization, reliability, deployment, monitoring, security
- Comfortable switching between frontend prototypes and backend APIs.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and interested in developing and maintaining a variety of projects at once
WHAT LEAFLY CAN OFFER
- Competitive salary and bonus
- Equity plan
- Unlimited Vacation
- Full coverage on health & dental plans
- 401k matching up to 3.5%
- Pet Insurance
- Flexible work schedule
- Fully remote with WFH allowance
- Cell Phone allowance
Leafly is on a mission to empower consumers, retailers, and brands in the cannabis space. Built as a strain database more than a decade ago, Leafly has since grown into the leading legal cannabis marketplace in the U.S. helping over 100 million annual visitors discover the right cannabis for them and buy it from local dispensaries, for pickup or delivery.
What’s more, Leafly is the world’s largest trusted resource for cannabis education, information, news, and trends. From our extensive strain database and Cannabis 101 to our flagship Jobs Report and Social Impact hub, Leafly plays a vital role in destigmatizing cannabis and helping consumers understand the power the plant can play in their own lives. We also partner with other mission-driven organizations to build a more just and equitable industry for all.
But here’s what you really want to know: a career at Leafly is exciting, rewarding, and ripe with opportunities for growth. We value creative thinkers, and offer competitive salary and benefits, excellent perks, incredible work culture, and the promise that you’ll never be bored. As a company, we’ve done some pretty amazing things—but none of it is possible without the amazing people who make up our team. If you join us, you can be sure that you’ll be joining a strong, innovative, and passionate group of individuals on a mission to change the world for the better.
The job description is representative of typical duties and responsibilities for the position and is not all-inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned in accordance with business needs. Prior cannabis convictions are not an automatic disqualifier. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics. A background check will be conducted after a conditional offer of employment is extended.