Reporting to the Director, Compliance, the Senior Legal Counsel, Compliance is responsible for providing legal services to Canopy Growth and its subsidiaries on a wide range of business issues, principally pertaining to the Canadian recreational and medical cannabis market but increasingly supporting the U.S. and global business. This role also works in close collaboration with the rest of the legal team to support regulatory compliance across all of our products. Candidate must be comfortable working in a very challenging, exciting and fast-paced environment.
- Reporting to the Director of Compliance, Canada, provides regular briefings on matters of importance and secures and/or consults the Legal Director as required. Applies sound judgment and adopts a strategic and business-focused approach to legal advice. Works closely and efficiently with peers in the Legal Function, as required.
- As a subject matter expert in laws relating to cannabis and those pertinent to the commercialization of products, provides robust, practical and timely legal advice to all business functions. Adopts a leadership role as both a trusted legal advisor and as a valued business partner.
- Develops and maintains expertise in relevant areas of law through independent learning. Implements systems and processes to share knowledge with internal stakeholders on an on-going basis. Proactively creates and delivers presentations and work tools to internal teams to equip them with up-to-date knowledge and understanding of legal requirements. Takes ownership of Compliance processes and continuously seeks to identify opportunities to improve ways of working.
- Works closely with all business functions including the Marketing and Sales, Government Relations, Product Innovation, Regulatory Affairs and Communications teams both in Canada and in the United States. Seeks to develop and nurture healthy and productive working relationships with peers across all business functions.
- Anticipates business needs. Proactively advises on matters relevant to forthcoming commercial activities. Puts forth business relevant and creative solutions to mitigate legal risks whilst facilitating the achievement of commercial objectives. Is interested in and remains abreast of competitor activity and market context.
- Proactively seeks to collaborate with a broad scope of business functions and remains informed of strategic commercial priorities. As an integral part of numerous project teams, leverages strong organizational skills to meet stringent and often conflicting demands.
- Directs the activities of external counsel where required and maximizes the value of external legal spend.
- Advises on a broad range of matters in both the recreational and medical markets as well non-cannabis related products, including:
- Reviews extensive promotional material aimed at consumers and customers pertaining to cannabis products and accessories as well as non-cannabis products (i.e Biosteel, This Works).
- Advises on various marketing touch points including social media, in-store promotions, E-commerce, websites, events and contests.
- Advises on matters related to competition law, product liability and licensing.
- Leads compliance files with respect to CASL and Privacy. Leads a cross-jurisdictional team to support a harmonious and consistent approach to Privacy across the organization.
- Manages Access to Information Requests. Advises on packaging and labeling, including Food and Drugs Act compliance;
- Reviews a broad scope of corporate initiatives, including Corporate Social Responsibility.
- Assists the Director of Compliance Canada in managing trade complaints and addressing queries raised by federal and provincial regulators.
Collaborates with other legal counsel who also advises on matters related to Compliance and oversees their work, as needed. Promotes and consistent and uniform approach when advising internal clients.
- Able to work independently and in teams.
- impeccable analytical, drafting and communication (verbal, written and electronic) skills;
- strong client service orientation;
- ability to effectively work in a fast paced environment, manage competing priorities and solve varied problems with confidence;
- strong judgment and decision-making qualities. Collaborative in soliciting input of others;
- ability to present and communicate issues effectively, including adapting the message to suit a particular audience;
- a team player with integrity, tact and an ability to “manage up”.
- LLB or JD from a recognized university.
- Membership in good standing of a provincial Bar.
- A minimum of 3 years experience (post-Call) providing legal services within a law firm or a corporation with strong emphasis on regulatory, privacy, CASL and marketing matters.
- Ability to draft concise legal opinions and to convey complex legal analysis in a business relevant manner.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills and ability to work in a constantly changing and fast paced environment.
- Willingness to work collaboratively with business partners to achieve challenging commercial objectives.
- Prior experience advising on legislation applicable to some or all of marketing, food, competition law, packaging and labeling, contests and the federal and provincial legislative processes.
- Prior experience (legal or otherwise) in the following industries: food, tobacco, alcohol, pharmaceutical, and/or other fast moving consumer goods industries.
- Prior experience advising on federal and provincial laws applicable to cannabis
- Exposure to U.S. consumer product regulation
- Bilingualism (French/English) is a definite asset
This is a full-time position ideally based out of Ottawa, Montreal or Toronto, however Canopy is open to remote work arrangements.