The Ontario Cannabis Store provides safe, responsible access to recreational cannabis for adults 19 and older. We operate the sole legal online store for recreational cannabis in Ontario and are the provincial wholesaler of cannabis for private retail stores.
Working at the OCS is a unique opportunity to be part of an agile start-up in a ground-breaking new industry. We’re a diverse team passionate about delivering a great customer experience, working together with mutual respect and building value out of our differences. We’re an inclusive organization that understands that delivering great results comes out of ensuring every voice is heard.
About the Role
We are looking for a Senior Financial Analyst to join our Finance team. We are looking for an experienced professional with strong knowledge of accepted Canadian GAAPs, data analytical development & reporting, and financial control environment compliance management.
As a Senior Financial Analyst, you will be responsible for reviewing financial statements of licensed producers & retailers to assess their financial health against financial and non-financial benchmarks determined by the finance management, and other key departments. In this role, you will use your strong analytical and problem-solving skills to assist the finance team in strengthening existing processes and automating reports through the use of data analytical software and process optimization improvements while continuing to monitor and assess required control environment compliances. You will play a key role in helping to deliver a strong reporting function in an exciting and growing company.
About Your Day
- Benchmark and complete risk-based performance assessments on licensed producer and retailer financial positions
- Conduct independent analysis and assessments on licensed producer and licensed retailer financial positions to identify forthcoming financial difficulties
- Convert and integrate existing manual reports utilized across the Finance department into PowerBI
- Partner with the Financial Planning and Analysis department to leverage the FP&A tool for additional reporting capabilities
- Develop and manage Finance KPIs through the use of PowerBI and other available tools
- Create new value-add dashboards, reports and analytics to further enhance the Finance team with understanding key insights for appropriate decision-making.
- Assist and co-lead annual financial control environment narrative updates and advise on new or suggested changes to identified key controls
- Understand and assist cross-functional team members with the Payment Card Industry (PCI) annual compliance requirements
- Assess IT general controls (ITGCs) and service organization controls (SOC) testing summaries for financial impacts, control compliance, and exceptions analysis
- Support the Manager, Accounting Policy and Financial Controls in the planning, development, delivery, and management of IFRS related projects to ensure smooth and effective implementation of major-impacting new and revised standards
- Develop and refine the financial reporting processes to further automate and reduce manual inefficiencies with available software’s and tools
- Support the Manager, Accounting Policy and Financial Controls on Finance department and companywide special projects as required
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration or equivalent
- CPA designation (CA, CGA, CMA) is required
- 4+ years of relevant work experience in financial reporting and financial analysis
- 2+ years of relevant work experience in data analytics or equivalent
- 2+ years of relevant work experience in reviewing ITGCs testing results and SOC reports for financial and control impacts
- Experience from a large public accounting firm assessing and reviewing financial statements from companies of all sizes
- Strong understanding of IFRS, ASPE and US GAAP
- Strong financial and analytical skills with the ability to prioritize effectively and meet multiple deliverables with tight timelines
- Exceptional cross functional relationship building and communication skills.
- Intermediate Microsoft Office skills- including Excel, Power-Point, Share-Point, Teams and One-Drive
- Experience with Power BI or similar reporting or data analytical software would be a strong asset
- Strong financial statement, MD&A and AIF review & analysis skills would be a strong asset
- Experience with assessing, reviewing, and advising on ITGCs, SOC report reviews, PCI compliances, and control environments would be an asset
- This position offers a Hybrid work schedule. Effective April 2022, you will be required to be in the office 1 day per week, with the ability to work from home for the remaining workdays (subject to specific business needs requiring office attendance).
- Currently, our office is open and available to use but it is not mandatory to be in office until April 2022
- When working from home, a reliable internet connection is required. Remote work is supported with cloud-based applications and collaboration tools (i.e., MS Teams)
About the Job
- City: Toronto, ON
- Employment Type: Permanent Full Time
- Required Travel: Rare, usually within GTA
- Application Deadline: June 14, 2022
We are committed to providing an accessible, equitable and inclusive candidate and employee experience. We provide reasonable accommodation throughout the recruitment process and in employment. If you require an accommodation, please let us know, we will work with you to meet your needs.