As a Senior Backend Software Engineer working with the Weedmaps team, you will be empowered to contribute to our products in meaningful ways. We cover an array of users from growers to dispensaries to consumers and we constantly strive to improve the experience for each of those segments using cutting edge design and implementation practices. As a major player in this emerging industry, we have an opportunity to help define the market landscape and we invite you to help in that effort.
The Weedmaps Orders team is building the biggest in-house cannabis e-commerce platform along with advertising features for our clients. We operate a two sided marketplace for customers to make orders online and clients to advertise their products. The team works closely with our customers, product, and design to deliver best in class products.
The impact you'll make:
- Contribute to mission critical services that power online ordering for thousands of cannabis storefronts and delivery services
- Build advertising features for our clients to advertise their products and services.
- Build APIs to enhance the consumer & dispensary eCommerce experience hosted at weedmaps.com
- Take ownership of significant initiatives and drive them from development through completion
- Collaborate closely with Design, QA, Product and fellow developers to define and scope initiatives by balancing risks, constraints, and speed to market
- Cultivate a sense of customer empathy to continue building an exceptional product
- Identify opportunities for improvement to our engineering and business processes as we scale our engineering teams and the overall organization
What you've accomplished:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent degree / work experience
- 4+ years working experience in either Ruby/Rails or Elixir/Phoenix
- Effective communication skills, a positive attitude, and ability to give and receive constructive feedback through mentoring, pair programming sessions, and code reviews
- Proven ability to influence cross functional stakeholders
- Minimum of 7+ years software development experience at startup / mid-sized companies
- Professional experience coding backend application in a production environment
- Professional experience developing large, scalable backend applications
- Developed an understanding of system architecture and design; with consideration given to security, performance, scalability, and handling of personally identifiable information
- Owned the technical design of major features or projects and can articulate the reasoning behind trade-offs made in your designs
- Experience building internal and external APIs with proper documentation and versioning strategies that avoid breaking changes whenever possible
- Experience with SQL databases such as MySQL, Postgres or SQL Server
- Experience adding telemetry, alerting and monitoring to services
- Love taking on the challenge of learning new technologies
- Self-starter attitude with a disciplined work ethic
- Experience in both Ruby & Elixir
- Experience in a functional programming language
- Experience with frontend frameworks such as React or Next.js
- Subject matter expert in specific vertical i.e. Payments, Logistics, E-Commerce, Advertising
- Experience with our runtime environments and tools: Kubernetes, DataDog, PagerDuty, Honeybadger, CircleCI
- 100% paid employee monthly Medical, Dental and Vision premiums AND 80% paid dependent monthly premiums
- HMO (California residents only) and PPO option offered through United Healthcare
- Company-paid $50,000 in Basic Life/AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment) coverage
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: 100% match on the first 1%. 50% match from 2-6% of employee contributions
- 3 weeks PTO (accrued) and 5 sick days (immediate)
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits
- Kindbody (family planning/fertility) including up to $10,000 towards cash-pay services
- Goodly (Student Loan Repayment/529 Education Savings) including a company contribution of up to $1,000/year
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical, Dependent, Transit and Parking)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Critical Illness
- Accident Insurance
- Short- and long-term disability
- Pet Insurance
- Paid parental leave
- During current work-from-home:
- Reimbursements for home office setup and monthly WiFi
- 11 company-paid holidays
- Catered lunch and snacks provided while working in the office
- Snack boxes sent straight to your door during work-from-home
- Casual work environment, read no fancy clothes required, but you are free to dress to the nines!
- Monthly virtual happy hours
- Quarterly all-hands meetings
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Founded in 2008, Weedmaps is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry. Our suite of cloud-based software and data solutions includes point of sale, logistics and ordering solutions that enable customers to scale their businesses while complying with the complex and disparate regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. In addition, our platform provides consumers with information regarding cannabis products across web and mobile platforms, including listing local retailers and brands, facilitating product discovery and allowing consumers to educate themselves on cannabis and its history, uses and legal status. Headquartered in Irvine, California, Weedmaps employs more than 400 professionals around the world, with offices including Barcelona, Denver, and Toronto.
So what are you waiting for? Join the Weedmaps team!