Regional Legislative Associate - East Coast
Weedmaps is looking for a dynamic full-time Legislative Associate to join our Government Relations team. Primary duties of this position include analyzing and tracking legislative,regulatory, and operational activity in targeted states and local jurisdictions, working with Weedmaps’ Government Relations team to develop data and organize written products to support the company’s advocacy initiatives and conducting engagement with local officials and industry groups. Exceptional data analysis, writing, and interpersonal skills are desired.
The Impact You'll Make:
- Manage emerging legislation by tracking and monitoring regional, state and local legislation across east coast government relations campaigns to inform east coast government relations strategies
- Analyze and present key data and trends to support overall strategy
- Engaging with state and local electeds and officials, industry groups and business operators to advance sensible cannabis policy
- Developing factsheets, whitepapers, public comment letters, and other written products to support campaign objectives
- Analyze and organize data to support Weedmaps’ state and local initiatives
- Conducting research and drafting reports on state and local policy issues
- Assembling meeting/event materials
- Development and articulation of GR market strategies and plans in support of Market Government Relations Owner
- Own and execute system for tracking key market policy status, strategies, initiatives, and projects
- Clear reporting to senior stakeholders on market strategy and policy progress
- Special projects as necessary
What you've accomplished:
- At least 3 years experience working in the U.S. congressional system (examples include serving in a congressional legislative office or staff on a legislative committee or working for an advocacy firm) or a similar position with a State government on the east coast.
- An undergraduate degree in political science, public policy, economics, or a related field. A graduate degree is a plus.
- Strong data analysis, research and writing skills as well as the ability to synthesize information succinctly and persuasively.
- A strong grasp of the policymaking process, national/state/local political institutions, issues advocacy campaigns, and how credible/persuasive research can positively shape policy outcomes.
- Strong research and writing skills, and proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Google Suite (Gmail, Calendar, Drive).
- Strong organizational and project management skills, including a keen appreciation for how daily consideration, tracking and movement of tactics and action items can drive long-term policy objectives and impact
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to collaborate in a team-based environment.
- A positive, team-oriented attitude and ability to work in a deadline-driven environment
- Attention to detail and ability to simultaneously manage and prioritize many tasks and communicate effectively
- 100% paid employee monthly Medical, Dental and Vision premiums AND 80% paid dependent monthly premiums
- HMO (California residents only) and PPO option offered through United Healthcare
- Company-paid $50,000 in Basic Life/AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment) coverage
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: 100% match on the first 1%. 50% match from 2-6% of employee contributions
- 3 weeks PTO (accrued) and 5 sick days (immediate)
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits
- Kindbody (family planning/fertility) including up to $10,000 towards cash-pay services
- Goodly (Student Loan Repayment/529 Education Savings) including a company contribution of up to $1,000/year
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical, Dependent, Transit and Parking)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Critical Illness
- Accident Insurance
- Short- and long-term disability
- Pet Insurance
- Paid parental leave
- During current work-from-home:
- Reimbursements for home office setup and monthly WiFi
- 11 company-paid holidays
- Catered lunch and snacks provided when working in the office
- Snack boxes sent straight to your door when you work-from-home
- Casual work environment, read no fancy clothes required, but you are free to dress to the nines!
- Monthly virtual happy hours
- Quarterly all-hands meetings
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please inform us if you need assistance participating in the interview process.
Founded in 2008, WM Technology is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry, comprising a B2C platform, Weedmaps, and B2B software, WM Business. The cloud-based SaaS solutions from WM Business provide an end-to-end operating system for cannabis retailers. WM Business’ tools support compliance with the complex, disparate, and constantly evolving regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. Through its website and mobile apps, WM Technology provides consumers with the latest information about cannabis retailers, brands, and products, facilitating product discovery and driving engagement with our retail and brand customers.
WM Technology holds a strong belief in the power of cannabis and the importance of enabling safe, legal access to consumers worldwide. Since inception, WM Technology has worked tirelessly, not only to become the most comprehensive platform for consumers, but to build the software solutions that power businesses compliantly in the space, to advocate for legalization, social equity, and licensing in many jurisdictions, and to facilitate further learning through partnering with subject matter experts on providing detailed, accurate information about the plant.
Headquartered in Irvine, California, WM Technology supports remote work for all eligible employees. Visit us at www.weedmaps.com.