As Principal Site Reliability Engineer at Weedmaps you will be a thought leader and influencer across the entire organization, particularly in engineering, product, and design. A very sharp and talented team of Site Reliability Engineers will look to you for technical guidance and mentorship as they work cross-departmentally with partners on the application, infrastructure and quality teams to enhance the performance, reliability, resilience and scalability of the web services that make up Weedmaps.com. We are a cloud-native organization with 100% of our services in Docker running on Kubernetes in AWS’ public cloud. We also leverage observability, monitoring, CI/CD automation and custom tooling to push multiple production releases a day.
Your day to day focus will be combining your engineering skills with your communication and influencing skills to assist in building, monitoring, reducing developer toil, configuring CI workflows and improving our deployment pipelines. You will also be a knowledge reference for our development teams to ensure they are leveraging consistent tooling for metrics, logging, build, and deployment. You will work closely with the development and infrastructure teams to identify the essential service-specific metrics (beyond the golden signals) that need to be monitored and work with application development teams to create libraries to allow services to easily instrument their services.
The Impact You'll Make
- Play a principal role in defining what SRE means at Weedmaps as we transition from startup to public company
- Advocate emphatically for the DevOps culture here at Weedmaps
- Collaborate with stakeholders to drive best practices for monitoring, CI/CD pipelines
- Help your teammates troubleshoot the most difficult issues in our CI/CD pipeline
- Identify areas for automation and embrace the codification of all things
- Evangelize best practices around collaboration, reliability, security and performance to all partner teams
- Take ownership of the application configuration/scaling for given services to ensure that they are following the established practices of the organization
- Teach your teammates how to create and refine synthetic monitoring flows
- Help teams understand the reliability of their services using metrics and observability
What You've Accomplished
- Minimum 15 years of experience at startup/mid-sized companies
- Passionate about your experience mentoring more junior engineers
- Proven record of being just as good at collaboration and communication as you are at engineering
- Proficiency in at least two: Python, Go, Node, Ruby, or Elixir
- Experience using/operating Kubernetes in a production environment
- Strong bias for action and strong decision-making capabilities.
- Expertise using/configuring modern CI/CD workflows
- Intimate understanding and experience implementing of SLIs, SLOs, and SLAs from the service level to the business level
- Intimate understanding of the golden signals, how to monitor and alert on them
- Deep understanding of the GitHub branching strategy
- Experience troubleshooting containerized applications
- Familiarity with Infrastructure as Code, automation and configuration
- Experience taking a company public, or in smaller public companies
- Familiarity with cloud infrastructure concepts (AWS, GCP)
- Experience with Hashicorp tools such as Terraform, Consul, Vault
- Computer science or other engineering background
- Experience with CI tools such as CircleCi, Codefresh, Jenkins, Travis, Drone, Semaphore, etc.
- Experience with monitoring and observability with cloud-based tools
Our 2022 Benefits
- Medical, Dental & Vision benefits (effective Day1):
- Employee - employer paid premium 100%
- Dependent - employer paid premium 80%
- HMO - Kaiser & Anthem
- PPO and HDHP with HSA - Anthem
- Basic Life & AD&D - employer paid 1x salary
- 401(k) Retirement Plan (with employer contribution)
- PTO (3 weeks accrued); 5 sick days
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits
- Kindbody (family planning/fertility) including up to $10,000 towards cash-pay services
- Goodly (Student Loan Repayment/529 Education Savings) including a company contribution of up to $1,000/year
- FSA (Medical, Dependent, Transit and Parking)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- Short- and long-term disability Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Company-paid identity theft protection
- Rocket Lawyer legal services platform
- Paid parental leave
- Reimbursements for home office setup and monthly WiFi
- You get to play a meaningful role in the future of cannabis and how it’s regarded globally
- Catered lunches provided while working in the office and curated snack boxes delivered to your door when working at home
- Casual work environment, read no fancy clothes required, but you are free to dress to the nines!
- Generous PTO and company holidays
- Endless opportunities to network and connect with your fellow Weedmappers through education and speaker series, Employee Resource Groups, happy hours, team celebrations, game nights and much more!
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please inform us if you need assistance participating in the interview process.
WM Technology, Inc.’s (Nasdaq: MAPS) mission is to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy. Now in its second decade, WM Technology has been a driving force behind much of the legislative change we’ve seen in the past 10 years.
Founded in 2008, WM Technology, is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry, comprising a B2C platform, Weedmaps, and B2B software, WM Business. The cloud-based SaaS solutions from WM Business provide an end-to-end operating system for cannabis retailers. WM Business’ tools support compliance with the complex, disparate, and constantly evolving regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. Through its website and mobile apps, WM Technology provides consumers with the latest information about cannabis retailers, brands, and products, facilitating product discovery and driving engagement with our retail and brand customers.
WM Technology holds a strong belief in the power of cannabis and the importance of enabling safe, legal access to consumers worldwide. Since inception, WM Technology has worked tirelessly, not only to become the most comprehensive platform for consumers, but to build the software solutions that power businesses compliantly in the space, to advocate for legalization, social equity, and licensing in many jurisdictions, and to facilitate further learning through partnering with subject matter experts on providing detailed, accurate information about the plant.
Headquartered in Irvine, California, WM Technology supports remote work for all eligible employees. Visit us at www.weedmaps.com.