The Ontario Cannabis Store provides safe, responsible access to recreational cannabis for adults 19 and older. We operate the provincial online store for recreational cannabis in Ontario and are the exclusive provincial wholesaler to authorized private retail stores.
Working at the OCS is a unique opportunity to be part of an agile start-up in a ground-breaking new industry. We’re a diverse team passionate about delivering a great customer experience, working together with mutual respect and building value out of our differences. We’re an inclusive organization that understands that delivering great results comes out of ensuring every voice is heard.
About the Role
We are looking for a Payroll and HRIS Specialist to join our team! As Payroll and HRIS Specialist, you will be responsible for processing bi-weekly payroll, administering the benefit plan and remittances (e.g. Pension) for a growing mid sized company. In this role, you will ensure payroll is accurate, reconciliations are completed in a timely manner and updated accordingly in the payroll system. You will act as the subject matter expert on all payroll and benefit inquiries, providing support for all employees on their individualized needs.
You will also administer our Human Resources Information System (HRIS), processing changes for new hires, terminations, leaves of absences and payroll adjustments as required. You will update and maintain organizational and positional structure in system, keeping abreast on all workforce changes. This is a great opportunity for an individual with strong attention to detail and organizational skills to join a dynamic team in a growing industry.
About Your Day
- Process bi-weekly payroll for hourly and salary employees, reconcile employee payroll transactions and adjust if required
- Update and maintain organizational and positional structure of HRIS system
- Prepare journal entries for payroll, accruals, pension, benefits, etc.
- Assist in year-end, quarterly reconciliations and tax form preparation
- Reconcile monthly group insurance invoices and preparing cost allocations for payment
- Administer the company group benefits plan and respond to inquiries from employees
- Prepare pension and garnishment remittances to forward to the OPB (Ontario Pension Board)
- Lead UAT for new payroll system releases
- Actively participate in continuous improvement initiatives for payroll and benefits processes
- Respond to system audit inquiries on a timely basis
- Utilize payroll & benefit best practices
- Ensure timely remittance and reporting of statutory contributions that are compliant with regulations and statutory requirements
- Maintain individual employee personnel files and HR database
- Ensure that Dayforce is updated and accurate
- Post-Secondary education in finance, payroll, HR or a related field of study, or equivalent level of education and experience.
- 2+ years of Payroll and Benefits administration experience, including experience with payroll reconciliations and year-end processing
- Completed, or working towards, Payroll Compliance Practitioner Certification
- Solid understanding of Federal and Provincial Payroll & Employment legislation
- Experience with processing a full complex payroll cycle and benefit administration, benefit & payroll administration, T4 and reconciliation preparation
- Well organized and proactive with strong time management skills
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Good administration skills including record management
- Analytical skills and ability to create regular and ad hoc reports using MS Excel
- Experience with Ceridian Dayforce is an asset
- This position offers a Hybrid work schedule. You will be required to be in the office a minimum of 1 day per week, with the ability to work from home for the remaining workdays (subject to specific business needs requiring office attendance)
- When working from home, a reliable internet connection is required. Remote work is supported with cloud-based applications and collaboration tools (i.e., MS Teams)
About the Job
- City: Toronto, ON
- Employment Type: Permanent Full Time
- Required Travel: Rare, usually within the GTA
- Application Deadline: June 21, 2022, at 11:59pm
We are committed to providing an accessible, equitable and inclusive candidate and employee experience. We provide reasonable accommodation throughout the recruitment process and in employment. If you require an accommodation, please let us know, we will work with you to meet your needs.