The Ontario Cannabis Store provides safe, responsible access to recreational cannabis for adults 19 and older. We operate the provincial online store for recreational cannabis in Ontario and are the exclusive provincial wholesaler to authorized private retail stores.
Working at the OCS is a unique opportunity to be part of an agile organization tasked with enabling the development of a vibrant recreational cannabis market in Ontario. We’re a diverse team passionate about delivering a great customer experience, working together with mutual respect and building value out of our differences. We’re an inclusive organization that understands that delivering great results comes out of ensuring every voice is heard.
The OCS is provincial Crown agency that is responsible to the Ontario Minister of Finance for its operations.
About the Role
We’re looking for a Manager, Policy to join the Corporate Affairs & Policy department to help navigate Canada’s rapidly evolving legal cannabis sector. Reporting to the Director, Corporate Affairs, Policy & Business Support, the Manager will be responsible for leading a team of policy professionals, helping operational teams across the agency maneuver a complex regulatory landscape as they develop and implement business initiatives, and supporting the organization’s day-to-day relationship with public sector partners, including the Ontario Ministry of Finance, the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario, and Health Canada.
About Your Day
Policy Development and Strategic Advice:
- Provide policy development, market analysis and strategic advice to the Ontario Government to guide informed decision-making and make recommendations (e.g., strategic, regulatory, legislative) to help enable the development of a vibrant legal cannabis market that displaces the illegal market and creates opportunities for economic growth
- Develop factual and data-driven policy analysis and strategic advice (e.g., policies, briefing materials, issue notes, summaries, presentation decks, jurisdictional assessments, etc.) to address emerging industry issues and support organizational decision-making
- Provide policy and strategic advice to operational teams and senior management to support ongoing business initiatives and priorities consistent with the mandate of the OCS
Agency Relations and Partnerships:
- Engage and build relationships with key government and agency partners at municipal, provincial and federal levels to help advance organizational and provincial priorities for cannabis legalization and assess the impact of legislative and regulatory changes on OCS operations
- Manage the organization’s day-to-day relationship with other public-sector partners including the Ontario Ministry of Finance, the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario and Health Canada
- Lead and administrate engagement with other provinces and territories through the Canadian Cannabis Jurisdictional Leadership (CCJL)
- Support business areas in engaging with external stakeholders to advance organizational initiatives, policies, and priorities aligned with the OCS mandate
Leadership & People Management:
- Build, direct, develop, performance manage, and inspire a small, high performing team of policy professionals. Ensure team consistently meets or exceeds expectations by assuring process compliance, facilitating appropriate training and feedback, and working with Director to ensure team engagement
- Foster a culture of innovation, transparency and accountability within the Corporate Affairs & Policy department and throughout the OCS
- Ensure that the team has the competence and skills to execute business-critical projects by partnering with Human Resources to create learning and development plans
- Completion of a post secondary degree in public policy, public administration, business administration, political science, or a related field.
- Master's or an advanced degree would be an asset
- 5+ years experience in a policy or agency oversight area within a public sector organization or within a regulated sector. Experience working at the Ontario Public Service is an asset
- 2+ years experience with managing a team is strongly preferred
- Ability to deliver results in a fast-paced environment. Exceptional organizational skills to manage teams to execute time sensitive deliverables, adapt to changing priorities and effectively manage several projects simultaneously
- Strong understanding of legislative processes, government procedures, and issues management, with comfort navigating a complex legal framework
- Experience liaising with senior management, with proven ability to develop and maintain strong professional relationships with internal business partners and external stakeholders
- Strong political acuity, interpersonal, diplomatic and negotiating skills, and ability to exercise discretion and judgment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a proven ability to communicate and provide advice to all levels within an organization
- Highly developed critical thinking, research, and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to monitor and coach employee performance, provide feedback, establish goals, and complete performance reviews
- Intermediate skill in Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Outlook
- This position offers a Hybrid work schedule. You will be required to be in the office a minimum of 1 day each week, with the ability to work from home for the remaining workdays (subject to specific business needs requiring office attendance).
- When working from home, a reliable internet connection is required. Remote work is supported with cloud-based applications and collaboration tools (i.e., MS Teams)
About the Job
- City: Toronto, ON
- Employment Type: Full-Time, Permanent
- Required Travel: Rare, usually within GTA
- Application Deadline: May 25, 2022, at 11:59PM
We are committed to providing an accessible, equitable and inclusive candidate and employee experience. We provide reasonable accommodation throughout the recruitment process and in employment. If you require an accommodation, please let us know, we will work with you to meet your needs