Nabis is a Series B cannabis wholesale e-commerce company supporting over 100 top-tier brands and supplying more than 99% of California's dispensaries. Our mission is to help scale the cannabis supply chain with software and ultimately become the world’s largest distributor of cannabis products. Nabis Capital is one of Nabis’ new value-added service offerings, leveraging our proprietary market data to underwrite trade receivables factoring for brand and retail partners on our distribution platform. Our Finance Team is currently seeking a Director of Credit to help lead the Nabis Capital team during this exciting period of growth!
The Manger, Payroll Benefits is responsible for payroll and benefits at Nabis reporting under the Head of People. This individual oversees all activities relating to the company payroll, benefits and HRIS processing including developing, implementing, and monitoring all payroll and benefits information, processes, and controls (including performing internal audit and control procedures to ensure that all wages and taxes are accurate). The individual will be the company’s subject matter expert with all payroll, benefits and HRIS administration.
- Process payroll for hourly, salaried, and temporary employees; including reviewing and importing hours from time and attendance system, entering tax and direct deposit information, administering regulatory requirements, e.g., garnishments, tax levies, and support orders, and other adjustments to pay as necessary.
- Implement and maintain payroll best practices to improve efficiency and consult with People Team to improve payroll and HRIS processes.
- Evaluate and implement payroll/HRIS systems upgrades and changes.
- Prepare quarterly tax credit reports
- Respond to all garnishments and unemployment claims in a timely manner.
- Maintain employee records in payroll/HRIS systems.
- Administer the time and attendance policy and paid leave policy for all employees.
- Process all travel and expense reimbursement credits, recognition awards, bonuses, pay adjustments, etc.
- Produces scheduled and ad-hoc reports pertaining to payroll and human resources requirements.
- Administer all employee benefit programs including enrollments and terminations.
- Ensure employees gain an understanding of benefit plans and enrollment provisions.
- Fulfills all governmental regulatory mandates and ensures filings are performed as required.
- Plans and administers annual open enrollment period. This includes preparation (or revision) and distribution of materials, conducting meetings to communicate changes to employees, arranging for on-site representation by providers, and processing changes within deadlines.
- Plans, conducts, and reports results of audits to ensure all enrollments are accurate and that dependent information is correct for each employee and works closely with Finance/Accounting for quarterly and year end audits (payroll, Workers Comp, 401k, etc.).
- Addresses benefit inquiries to ensure timely and accurate resolutions. Maintains contact with employees and beneficiaries to facilitate proper and complete utilization of benefits for all employees.
- Processes monthly billings from providers. Reviews billings for accuracy and approves for payment in a timely manner. Resolves discrepancies with carriers and payroll.
- Coordinate with third party administrator to manage disability claims according to the plan.
- Administers online COBRA enrollments/changes and responds to and manages unemployment claims and workers compensation cases.
- Maintains complete electronic files, records and other documentation for employment status changes and maintaining timely and accurate files.
- Coordinates pre-employment paperwork and processes with People Relations Team.
- Prepares statistical summaries and reports from the HRIS involving payroll information, demographic data and other employee data, requiring knowledge of the various Human Resources disciplines.
- Assists to maintain data integrity in systems by running queries and analyzing data and reviewing source documents for accuracy and completion of data input.
- Generates files/reports such as the EEO1/Vets 100, annual non-discrimination testing for benefits plans, annual reports, as well as other special and ad hoc reports as requested.
- Recommends business process improvements having an HRIS component.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
- At least 5+ years of experience administering payroll, HRIS and benefits processes required.
- Work experience should include knowledge of basic human resources, payroll practices, benefits administration, and compliance or other related experience.
- Must have strong knowledge of a variety of computer software applications including payroll, benefits, time & attendance and HRIS and self-service systems.
- Must have a high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Strong understanding of Human Resources processes and terminology, payroll and benefit processes and procedures, including eligibility and enrollment rules and benefit procedures.
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Highly organized
- Good problem-solving skills
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong people skills
- Low-ego, adaptable and high EQ
- Excellent time management skills