We are all about enhancing life’s celebrations and having fun while we excel in our careers! ALCANNA, a TSX listed company (TSX: CLIQ), is Canada’s premier retailer of wine, spirits and beer and we operate in Alberta and British Columbia. ALCANNA's majority-owned subsidiary, Nova Cannabis Inc. (TSXV: NOVC), also operates cannabis retail stores in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Ontario. With approximately 1,800 employees and 250 liquor and cannabis retail outlets, ALCANNA is proud to be an Edmonton, Alberta-based organization. In May 2018, we changed our name to Alcanna Inc. The new name reflects the expansion of our business into two divisions: alcohol and cannabis.
About the Role
Reporting into the Sr. Human Resource Business Partner, we are looking for 2 HR Junior and Senior Business Partners to provide support to our cannabis stores. In this role, you will work both from the office and in store (75%/25% split), where you’ll guide business leaders and employees through employee relations matters, investigations, leadership and employee development, and change management to name a few. While building important relationships with the Operations team, you’ll coach, advise, and mentor business leaders on human resources best practices by bringing proactive, compliant, and innovative solutions forward in order to achieve business objectives. You will also work with the HR team, corporate, and retail leaders, to help move HR initiatives forward.
In this role, you must be confident in your HR abilities, comfortable liaising and building positive relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including C-suite, to understand business needs and outcomes as it relates to HR. An ownership mentality and proactive approach is a must! In this role, no task is too small or too big, the successful candidate must be willing and able to support with everything from administrative tasks to taking a lead on unfamiliar or complex initiatives.
If the prospect of becoming an integral part of our HR team interests you, the HR Business Partner role is an excellent opportunity! Critical skills for this position include strong professional discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality, high quality of work, strong problem-resolution skills, excellent organization and time management, and ability to work efficiently with minimal review. Our company is no stranger to change so it is essential the candidate is adaptable and has a positive go-getter attitude to match our fast-paced environment and evolving business needs.
Role and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Act as the primary HR contact for a sector of the business, supporting business stakeholders, including C-suite leaders, Operations Managers, Retail Managers, and employees at store level.
- Provide advice, guidance, and investigative support by conducting effective, thorough and objective investigations related to complex claims and complaints; assist store management teams with conflict management, dispute resolution or other employee relations matters.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees in the applicable provinces, reducing legal risks, and ensuring regulatory compliance, while providing advice on relevant legislation including the Employment Standards and Human Rights.
- Help develop and support the implementation and training of new or amended HR policies, processes, SOPs, tools and programs in collaboration with other departments as required, including educating and coaching managers on the proper application with examples and demonstrations suitable to our workplace.
- Building and editing HR training resources and facilitation of training to improve overall efficiency, effectiveness, and user experience.
- Research and design HR related projects or programs from start to finish, including project management of all associated tasks (with a project team as needed) and implementation to the business. Following up to understand measures of success and feedback.
- Provide day-to-day performance management guidance to the Retail Managers (e.g., coaching, career development, succession planning, disciplinary actions, and terminations).
- Work closely with management and employees to improve employee engagement, build morale and culture, while increasing productivity and retention.
- Complete and coordinate the administration, tracking, and auditing of documentation and information involved in the full employee life cycle: onboarding, performance check-ins, corrective action plans, terminations, and other employee data as needed (e.g. work permits, leaves of absence, etc.).
- Develop and provide inferences from statistics and reporting pertaining to HR related metrics, including trend analysis, feasibility reviews, problem/resolution identification, and measurement of success for HR initiatives.
- Work with the Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) team to provide support on the implementation of OH&S policies and programs, while also providing support on issues related to disability management, leaves management, and working with business leaders to facilitate return to work protocol and workplace accommodation as required.
- Supporting the business and HR leaders by conducting needs analysis, research, and interpreting those insights into possible strategies or action items to help create project plans and implementation strategies.
- Participating in peer review for HR team members as requested, to confirm accuracy, reduce risk, and broaden perspective.
- Participate in the monthly rotation for management of the general HR phone line and general HR inbox.
- Understanding of total rewards programs and strategies (base pay, benefits, etc.).
- Keeping up to date with current HR trends, best practice, proposed bills, and legislation changes in the provinces we operate in.
- Participating and advocating best practices for our diversity and inclusion strategy.
- Perform other duties as assigned to support the HR team.
Personal Characteristics and Requirements
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills with the ability to develop trusting and productive work relationships with co-workers and stakeholders.
- Strong human resources and business acumen with the ability to proactively identify and deliver solutions to business needs as it relates to the HR function.
- Comfortable and confident working as the primary HR contact for a variety of business stakeholders, from C-suite leaders to store level associates and everything in between.
- Excellent active listening, negotiation, and dispute resolution skills.
- Professional and grounded demeanor who is resilient, can pivot as required and can influence positive change.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction.
- Strong time management skills and proven ability to maintain workload and meet critical deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional commitment to customer service with strong sense of urgency.
- Accountable with an ownership mentality.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to produce error free work.
- Skilled in articulating complex business issues and proposed action plans to leaders and executives in a clear and compelling manner. Confidence to facilitate next steps, including leading difficult conversations.
- Respectful and receptive to learning the business and its vibrant history, in order to become informed and provide appropriate support and recommendations.
- Must be willing and able to be accessible and/or work outside of normal business hours as needed to support the retail stores.
- Desire and ability to travel to stores to support the Operations team from an HR perspective.
Experience and Qualifications
- Junior/Intermediate 2-3 years and Senior 3-6+ years in a Human Resource Generalist, Advisor or Business Partner role
- Familiarity in the retail sector is an asset.
- Thorough understanding of how to interpret and apply the Employment Standards and Human Rights legislation for multiple provinces, in the context of workplace matters.
- Investigation training and presentation/facilitation training is an asset.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with various HR databases and the full Microsoft Office suite of products (specifically Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio).
- Must pass a basic security clearance.
- Travel to stores will be required; reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license is necessary.
- Post-secondary education (diploma/degree) in Human Resources is required.
- CPHR designation or working towards considered an asset.
If you are excited about this dynamic opportunity and meet the criteria listed above, we want to hear from you!
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. We thank all applicants for their interest in ALCANNA however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Life insurance
- Post Secondary Education (Diploma or Degree)?
- 3-5+ years in a Human Resources Generalist, Advisor or Business Partner role?
- Do you live in Edmonton, AB? If so what side of the City?
- How many years of experience do you have with Microsoft Applications?
- Retail: 1 year (preferred)
- Drivers License? (preferred)