LeafLink is the largest unified B2B cannabis platform, providing licensed cannabis businesses a suite of tools to manage their business more effectively, sell or order from their favorite brands and accelerate growth. We are one platform, one solution and we're defining the way thousands of cannabis brands, distributors and retailers streamline their operations. With thousands of brands and retailers across 30+ markets in North America, we are setting the industry standard for how cannabis businesses grow together. LeafLink processes more than $4.4 billion in wholesale cannabis orders annually.
Our team, backed by funding from leading VC's, including Founders Fund, Thrive Capital, Nosara Capital, and Lerer Hippeau is poised to define the cannabis supply chain through technology. LeafLink was named one of Inc. 5000's 'Top 5000 Fastest-Growing Private Companies', one of Built In NYC's 'Best Places to Work in 2021', as well as one of Fast Company's 'Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Enterprise for 2020', joining the ranks of Amazon, Slack, and VMWare - and we're just getting started!
LeafLink is seeking a Director of Data Engineering. The Director of Data Engineering will lead the vision and development of the data platform at LeafLink for enterprise wide applications of data like BI & Analytics, ML and data-driven features. This role will partner with cross functional leaders in the technology & business teams to drive organizational goals. The role will be responsible for building, managing and mentoring the data engineering team at LeafLink. Reporting to the VP of Data & Analytics, this role will be responsible for building robust processes and instituting best practices to achieve operational excellence in development and maintenance of data infrastructure and drive self service enablement and adoption of data driven decision making at LeafLink.
Ideal candidates for this role possess the ability to think strategically, build and lead high performance teams, develop plans and solution architecture, drive high quality execution on technically complex data engineering projects, partner with and represent among cross functional leaders, drive programs and initiatives. Mentoring and cultivating leaders within their team should come naturally to the candidate. Other important qualities we are looking for are a passion for modern data architecture, deep experience with designing and developing orchestration patterns for data operations, technical expertise to propose and evaluate best fit solutions, a curiosity to understand stakeholder's end use case and applications of data, experience working alongside and supporting data analysts, data scientists and engineers.
- Work with the VP of Data & Analytics, Product & Engineering and Business stakeholders to properly plan short and long-term goals and execute on a roadmap to grow and maintain the data platform to serve the needs across the company
- Build a modern and efficient data engineering function with a highly engaged and talented team
- Mentor and grow leaders on the team
- Understand needs and challenges of Analysts, BI Engineers and Data Scientists on projects like deployment of ML pipelines, data powered platform features, dashboarding and scaled experimentation and create patterns and solutions to enable them
- Enable members of the D&A organization by providing tools for easily deploying complex data tasks into production and simplifying workflows, modeling raw data in analysis friendly data structures, providing code reviews and intra team collaborative projects
- Partner closely with leader of DevOps team - develop shared processes and projects for building solutions or upgrades of existing data infra asset
- Build OKRs and plan resourcing in alignment with cross functional teams
- Overall responsibility for the health and upkeep of data infrastructure at LeafLink and it's various components like ingestion engines, the data warehouse and other storage, APIs, Slack Apps and tools like dbt, Airflow, Census etc.
- Architect and propose solutions, gain alignment, plan & monitor execution of work
- Review work output and ensure on-time delivery and high quality output which meets user needs or requirements
- Ensure operational excellence by defining core processes for data engineering function and institute rigor and consistency in processes to achieve operational excellence
- Establish rigorous and robust data quality testing processes and SLAs for resolution of types of data quality issues
- Develop and maintain documentation like ERDs, data dictionaries, catalogs, arch specs to create a shareable knowledge base for all data assets of the company
- Build a robust data catalog for sharing data assets between producers and consumers
- Manage and scale data pipelines from internal and external data sources to support new product launches and drive data quality across data products.
- Final ownership for resolving issues related to the data platform like data pipeline bugs, data quality issues, service outages and other such events
- Own and maintain centralized git repository and tools used by the D&A team
- People & technical leader with proven experience leading, growing, and mentoring teams of engineers
- A passion for building and retaining teams of individuals that are highly motivated and excited about the work they're contributing to
- Experience managing projects, setting processes, resourcing, timelines, and delivery efforts with cross-functional teams
- Extensive experience developing and deploying modern data architectures
- Hands-on experience building a cloud data stack
- Experience with various types of operational and relational data stores like relational dbs, NOSQL stores, bucket storage
- Experience working with ingestion and transformation of multiple data sources like event streams, CDP systems like Segment, Salesforce, OLTP databases, marketing automation tools, other 3P APIs
- Experience working with variety of structured and unstructured data received from various sources & formats such as Rest APIs, Flat Files, Logs, event buses
- Experience working with B2B technology platforms
- Experience working with data in an event driven architecture and familiarity with tooling required
- Hands-on experience with deployment using CI/CD, Docker;
- Hands on experience with DAG based workflow orchestration frameworks like dbt, Airflow, AWS Pipeline
- Experience with big data and real time data processing technologies like Spark, Flink, Kafka is a strong plus
- Well-versed in version control systems (Git)
- Experience supporting a team with data scientists and analysts as clients or users is a big plus
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced growth business with many collaborators and quickly evolving business needs
Flexible PTO to give our employees a little extra R&R when they need it
Competitive compensation and 401k
- Comprehensive health coverage (medical, dental, vision)
Commuter Benefits through a Flexible Spending Account
- A robust stock option plan to give our employees a direct stake in LeafLink's success
LeafLink's employee-centric culture has earned us a coveted spot on BuiltInNYC's Best Places to Work for in 2021 list. Learn more about LeafLink's history and the path to our First Billion in Wholesale Cannabis Orders here.