Weedmaps is a leading technology platform in the cannabis industry. Our mission is to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy.
We are looking for a Product Counsel to join our amazing Legal team! Our Legal Department takes an active role in guiding the direction and structure of our strategic initiatives, products, and commercial arrangements. We’re a team of generalists who all bring deep knowledge in our areas of expertise but also handle the breadth of legal issues that Weedmaps encounters. You’ll focus your efforts on taking a deep dive into our product portfolio, understanding our organizational goals, and advising the business team on a myriad of issues, from consumer protection, cannabis advertising restrictions, intellectual property, privacy, and more. And you’ll collaborate with business partners throughout the organization to help them navigate the complex legal landscape at the intersection of technology and cannabis.
The impact you'll make:
- Provide advice and counsel to the engineering, product and design team regarding new and existing product offerings and functionalities in light of rapidly changing applicable laws, including those related to data privacy and security, and company policies and strategy.
- Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk, and develop and implement corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues.
- Support trust & safety, policy, revenue and other teams by interpreting company policy and applicable law and delivering guidance based on the same.
- Draft, negotiate, review, and interpret commercial agreements (with a focus on SaaS and other technology agreements) with our vendors, partners, and customers.
- Conduct research regarding legal and compliance issues affecting the Company’s businesses, translating complex laws and regulations into practical advice and solutions, including by acting as subject matter expert for applying the cannabis regulations of your assigned jurisdictions to Weedmaps’ product portfolio.
- Assist in creating and improving scalable processes, agreements, document templates and policies, particularly focused on product review and guidance.
What you've accomplished:
- JD degree and active membership in at least one US state bar.
- 6+ years of relevant attorney experience advising product development teams on matters such as privacy, intellectual property, consumer protection, or other regulatory compliance.
- Highly self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability and willingness to quickly develop expertise in legal and regulatory areas to meet the needs of our dynamic business.
- Strong analytical, drafting and negotiation skills, as well as excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Talent for thinking creatively to find practical solutions to complex issues.
- Organized and detail-oriented.
- Able to effectively prioritize and manage multiple matters.
- Sophisticated interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop strong internal relationships, influence others, and work as part of cross-functional teams and in partnership with team members at all levels of the organization.
- Able to manage and oversee outside counsel and paralegals, business associates and other team members.
- Passion for startups and technology.
*Bonus Points: *
- Minimum of 3+ years of advising technology companies (either in-house and/or at a global law firm).
- Experience advising on the Communications Decency Act and platform payment- and user-related matters.
- In-depth knowledge of applicable privacy law.
- Background in digital advertising a plus.
- 100% paid employee monthly Medical, Dental and Vision premiums AND 80% paid dependent monthly premiums
- HMO (California residents only) and PPO option offered through United Healthcare
- Company-paid $50,000 in Basic Life/AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment) coverage
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: 100% match on the first 1%. 50% match from 2-6% of employee contributions
- 3 weeks PTO (accrued) and 5 sick days (immediate)
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits
- Kindbody (family planning/fertility) including up to $10,000 towards cash-pay services
- Goodly (Student Loan Repayment/529 Education Savings) including a company contribution of up to $1,000/year
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical, Dependent, Transit and Parking)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Critical Illness
- Accident Insurance
- Short- and long-term disability
- Pet Insurance
- Paid parental leave
- During current work-from-home:
- Reimbursements for home office setup and monthly WiFi
- 11 company-paid holidays
- Catered lunch and snacks provided when working in the office
- Snack boxes sent straight to your door when you work-from-home
- Casual work environment, read no fancy clothes required, but you are free to dress to the nines!
- Monthly virtual happy hours
- Quarterly all-hands meetings
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please inform us if you need assistance participating in the interview process.
Founded in 2008, WM Technology is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry, comprising a B2C platform, Weedmaps, and B2B software, WM Business. The cloud-based SaaS solutions from WM Business provide an end-to-end operating system for cannabis retailers. WM Business’ tools support compliance with the complex, disparate, and constantly evolving regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. Through its website and mobile apps, WM Technology provides consumers with the latest information about cannabis retailers, brands, and products, facilitating product discovery and driving engagement with our retail and brand customers.
WM Technology holds a strong belief in the power of cannabis and the importance of enabling safe, legal access to consumers worldwide. Since inception, WM Technology has worked tirelessly, not only to become the most comprehensive platform for consumers, but to build the software solutions that power businesses compliantly in the space, to advocate for legalization, social equity, and licensing in many jurisdictions, and to facilitate further learning through partnering with subject matter experts on providing detailed, accurate information about the plant.
Headquartered in Irvine, California, WM Technology supports remote work for all eligible employees. Visit us at www.weedmaps.com.