Job Title: Accounting Citizen (AP)
Reports to: Accounting Manager
FSLA Status: Exempt
Common Citizen is proud to be a Michigan-based cannabis company committed to changing the social stigma that prevents people from enjoying the greater quality of life that cannabis can provide. Our company is founded on two principles: ‘cannabis for humanity’ and ‘change for the better’. ‘Cannabis for humanity’ meaning we put people first in everything we do – from our safe, high quality cannabis plants to our world-class customer experience to our caring workplace environment. ‘Change for the better’ meaning that we have an insatiable desire to make ourselves, our product and our team experience better each and every day. In fact, we are working hard to become and be recognized as a Great Place to Work® Best Workplaces in the USA.
About This Role
Every position at Common Citizen from seed to sale, is contributing to our mission to serve our fellow citizens of Michigan with the highest quality, safest cannabis product through our highly individualized and education-oriented provisioning centers. The Accounting Citizen (Accounts Payable) provides financial, administrative and clerical support for payments made to suppliers/creditors, paying vendor invoices/bills, and recording the company's short-term debts.
Outlined below is what we see you doing at this point in time. We are a fast-growing company looking for people that are excited to grow along with us. Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Prepare, verify, and process invoices for sales or services rendered
- Enter data on invoices; ensure proper coding on documents
- Collect on accounts by sending invoice reminders and communication with customers via phone, email, fax or mail
- Post customer payments by recording cash, checks, and credit card transactions and entering them into the general ledger or accounting software
- Prepare cash and check payments for bank; totaling and recording the deposit amounts, filling out deposit slips and bundling the funds and slips; making deposits at the bank
- Verify the validity of account discrepancies by obtaining and investigating information from sales, trade promotions, customer service departments and customers
- Resolve valid or authorized deductions by entering adjusting entries
- Resolve invalid or unauthorized deductions by following pending deductions procedures
- Resolve collections by examining customer payment plans, payment history, credit line; coordinating contact with collections department
- Summarizes receivables by maintaining invoice accounts, coordinating monthly transfer to accounts receivable account, verifying totals; preparing reports
- Generate monthly, quarterly or annual financial statements and reports detailing paid and unpaid invoices and other accounts receivable activity
- Protect organization’s value by keeping information confidential
The Experience You Bring and the Skills we Need:
- Associates Degree or equivalent
- 1-3 years accounts payables experience
- Knowledge of general accounting principles, regulatory standards and compliance requirements
- Ability to calculate, post and manage accounting figures and financial records
- General math skills
- Proficiency in MS Office, including the ability to operate computerized accounting and spreadsheet programs
- High degree of accuracy, attention to detail and confidentiality
- Excellent data entry skills
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Effective verbal, listening and written communication skills
- Effective organizational, stress and time management skills
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently or as a team member
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people
- Customer service and negotiation skills
- Regularly required to sit for long periods of time
- Use hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools, or controls.
- Reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- Occasionally required to stand and walk.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Why You’d Love This Role
- A high level of professionalism and believe in our founding principles: “Cannabis for humanity” and “Change for the better”. As such, you enjoy being involved in the community and being a steward for the company and the positive change that we believe in.
- A passion for providing the residents and visitors of Michigan with the highest quality and safest cannabis products in the state.
- A desire to change the social perception of cannabis and a passion for humanity.
- A constant desire to learn new skills and believe in continuous improvement, both personally and professionally.
- Value integrity and honesty and want to bring those values to the cannabis industry.
- Enjoy being part of a team and sharing your skills with your fellow citizens.
- An appreciation for all stages of the production cycle of cannabis, including harvesting and trimming.
- An awareness of the contamination risk between a commercial and home grow, and thus can commit to not operating a home grow while working with us in the greenhouse
Common Citizen is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an environment of mutual respect for all people. If you are a member of an equity group, you are encouraged to self-identify, on your application, cover letter or resume.
\***Must be at least 21 years of age as required by the Marijuana Regulatory Association**
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: One location